In the past people have attempted electrical jobs themselves but most of the time this work would be done in a bad manner and can lead to electrocution and electrical fires. Today all electrical work has to meet UK national standard BS 7671 and because of this it is critical that you employ a competent electrician to undertake any electrical work. Choosing an electrician that is registered with a government approved scheme is a great idea for the following reasons:
A Registered Electrician:
1. Will carry out all electrical work to British Standard BS 7671
2. Will be authorised to self-certify that their work is compliant with current Building Regulations.
3. Will have their work regularly assessed to ensure ongoing competence
4. Will be able to issue a BS7671 certificate
5. Will have valid insurance including public liability insurance
6. Scheme operator will have a complaints procedure. They will investigate complaints made about electricians registered under their schemes who have not met the required standards
There are a number of different ‘Registered Electrician Schemes’. These are some of the better known ones.
If you are looking for a competent electrician to carry out work in your home or business R D Nelmes Electrical can help.